POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS & PovRay? : Re: NURBS & PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS & PovRay?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 12 Jun 1998 15:17:19
Message: <35817EBF.B5331009@ltu.edu>
Johannes Hubert wrote:
> But giving POV-Ray the ability to trace NURBS as primitives (probably even
> in CSGs???) would make it stand out among the competition even more than it
> already does. A great to-hope-for feature! Go for it!

NURBS are nothing without a good modeler.  It would be fairly easy to modify
the current Bezier code to handle simple NURBS surfaces... or at least
non-trimmed NURBS.  Trimmed NURBS are quite difficult, IMHO.  It all boils down
to tesselating the surface into an internal triangle representation.

However, modelers can already do the tesselation easily.  I've been working on
a compact mesh syntax with Thomas Baier for 3DS-to-POV conversions that would
also work to greatly reduce the size of any triangle mesh POV file.

-Nathan Kopp